I’ve never been much of a burbon or whiskey drinker. Except for the occasional sip with my boyfriends brother, I usually stick to red wine and margaritas on Taco Tuesday! However, the other day I was in the grocery store looking for a fruit to inspire my next cocktail when it hit me that I have always wanted to try a burbon smash. I picked up a pile of plums, made a plum based simple syrup and voila. The sweetness of the plum syrup paired with the sour lemon and fresh mint really helped me enjoy burbon much more easily than sipping it straight over ice, and the pretty pink color of the drink didn’t hurt either.
What you will need: yields 1 cocktail
1. 1/2 cup of sugar + half cup of water + 1 plum makes enough plum simple syrup for 5 drinks
2. 1/2 oz triple sec
3. 1oz burbon
4. 6-10 mint leaves + mint for garnish
5. 1 plum
7. Martini shaker
How To Make:
1. Bring sugar, water and chopped up plum to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from stove and let sit until syrup is cooled down (about 30 minutes). Strain syrup into a jar.
2. muddle or “smash” 2 tbsp of simple syrup, mint leaves, triple sec, burbon and ripe plum in a bowl.
3. Pour mixture into a martini shaker filled with ice, shake and strain into an ice filled glass.
4. Garnish with a plum slice and mint.