This hearty dish is packed with vitamin-rich kale and pumpkin, and you won't miss the cheese you usually find in baked pastas.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2005
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound gemelli pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch (about 8 ounces) kale, thick stems removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (29 ounces) pumpkin puree, (not pumpkin-pie filling)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons jarred sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds, sliced
Cook pasta, and drain; reserve. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add kale; cook, stirring, until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, broth, and pesto; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Toss pasta with pumpkin-kale mixture. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or eight individual dishes. Top with almonds. Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes.